Your Orchids Are NeedeD
We need your BLOOMING ORCHIDS to help fill out the interior of the Hartley Botanic Victorian-style greenhouse at the center of our garden. Any blooming orchid qualifies as long as it is clean, pest and disease free, and the flowers will last for at least one week.
Orchids can arrive:
- 1 pm to 5 pm on Sunday, Feb 6
- 9 am to 1 pm on Monday, Feb 7
IF you bring your orchids on Sunday, there will be plenty of 4-wheeled carts to use at the “Hand Carried Freight” elevator. However, on Monday, carts will be scarce as you will be competing with all of the Marketplace Vendors who will be moving in that day.
Incidentally, the orchids that will be “planted” in the garden area outside of the greenhouse have been purchased by the NWOS from a variety of orchid nurseries across the US. There will be a variety of named, blooming Paphiopedilums, Oncidiums, Dendrobiums, Cymbidiums, and more! All of these orchids will be available for purchase at the February 14 general meeting as well as the March 14 NWOS Auction. Although it’s best to get them at the February meeting as they will still be in bloom.
My Orchids Want To Participate, What Do I Need To Do?
1. Write your name or initials on a piece of blue painter’s masking tape (it won’t smudge or come off if it gets wet) or use an address label. Affix the tape or label to each orchid pot. Affix the tape or label to your plant trays and packing boxes too.
2. Print a list of plants with your contact information and the name of each orchid or flower. Please indicate how you will be picking up your plants — either on Sunday, Feb 13 after 6 pm at the WSCC or at the Monday, Feb 14 meeting at 7 pm.
3. Clean and trim the leaves as needed, check for any visible pests and diseases, stake the flower spikes if needed to prevent breakage in transport; the usual routine to prep plants for a show.
4. Package your orchids in a sturdy box or tray. Did you label your box or trays?
How Do I Get There?
See the map on how to get to the Convention Center’s Main Parking Garage. The garage is located underneath the WSCC between Pike and Seneca streets.
Once inside the garage, follow the signs to the “Hand-Carried Freight” elevator. Take your parking ticket with you, get it stamped (IF you are in and out of the garage within one hour, you don’t pay). Pick up a “Work-pass” and put it on your clothing. Ride the elevator to the 4th floor loading dock.
Walk straight ahead through the clear plastic curtain to the Show floor. Our garden is straight ahead next to the rightmost concrete pillar. See the map if you need help locating us or are entering from the 4th floor Atrium entrance.
What Day and Time Can I Bring Plants?
We request that you bring your orchids on either:
- Sunday, Feb 6 from 1 pm to 5 pm
- Monday, Feb 7 from 9 am to 1 pm
When Can I Get My Plants Back?
You can either pick up your orchids on Sunday, Feb 13 after 6 pm (preferred) or request the plants be delivered to Monday’s Feb 14 general meeting spot at the Center for Urban Horticulture. IF you come on Sunday after 6 pm, you may help us dismantle the garden. We can always use the extra help!
Whichever you choose, be sure to let us know on your list of plants when you deliver them.
Any questions or concerns, email FGS@NWOS.ORG and I will reply quickly.
~ Joff Morgan